Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Book Review- Beloved

For the Literary Movement challenge and the Mount TBR challenge I read Toni Morrison's novel Beloved.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Staring unflinchingly into the abyss of slavery, this spellbinding novel transforms history into a story as powerful as Exodus and as intimate as a lullaby. Sethe was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has too many memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous things happened. Her new home is haunted by the ghost of her baby, who died nameless and whose tombstone is engraved with a single word: Beloved. 
If it wasn't for me making the mistake of re-reading Gulliver's Travels this year this would be my least favorite book of the year. It was inappropriate and weird... really weird. It was very interesting though how the author slowly unfolded the plot and let out more and more secrets. Good writing there. I know this book is famous for revealing the horrors of slavery and yes it did a good job but that didn't make up for everything else. The book just bored me! Denver was my favorite character.... at the beginning I wasn't fond of her but I feel like she actually matures and becomes a little less whiney. Sethe is weird and that reveal about her was.... ugh! Beloved was ucky and everything with her is weird. Paul D isn't awful but he is pretty ucky himself.
I'm just not a fan of this book. If you liked it... what is it that drew you to this book? Maybe I need to reconsider my feelings on it but I just wasn't thrilled with it.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with AdFly and get money from every visit to your short urls.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...