Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Book Review- Rebecca

For the Back to the Classics challenge, Mount TBR challenge, New Author challenge, Alphabet Soup Challenge, Read England challenge, Women's challenge and the Classics Club I read Daphne du Maurier's novel Rebecca.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding housekeeper, Mrs Danvers.
So there will be spoilers in this review just so you know.
I'd seen the old black and white film version (with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine) before so I knew the storyline and I also know how it differed in one kind of essential way.... I think though if I might interject here that it was an improvement on the story overall.
But back to the book. I think it's so interesting how you never know the narrator's name. I didn't even realize that until halfway through the book. The suspense is powerful in this book. The author slowly and cleverly unfolds the story leaving you wondering what exactly is going on the whole time. And the reveal! Wow! Now as I said I did know the storyline so I'm sure it would have been even better if I hadn't known it but it was still awesome!
Sure there's a bit of a moral dilemma at the end that I'm not too fond of but that's why I prefer the movie. All in all you should definitely read this book and then I'd recommend the aforementioned movie. I think there might be other versions out there but I haven't seen them so I can't vouch for them.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched the movie but I did read the book years ago after hearing so much about it and greatly enjoyed it! I love how we don't know the name of the narrator; I didn't even realise it as well until somewhere halfway. But it's okay because the story was so engrossing. Glad you liked the book, Lois, wishing you all the best for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my top 10 favorite books of all time. I really like the Hitchcock movie version too, though I think I slightly prefer the '70s TV version that has Jeremy Brett as Maxim -- never been released to DVD, but I watched it all on YouTube a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeremy Brett? Sounds intriguing! I like him as Sherlock Holmes a lot.

      Delete
    2. Me too! And he's in his prime here, too. You can still watch it on YouTube here, which is how I saw it. It's chopped into a bunch of small chunks, which is a little annoying, but at least you can see it!

      Delete
    3. I actually reviewed it here for the Period Drama Challenge last time around.

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...