Thursday, December 10, 2015

TV Review- Doctor Who Season Nine

After a rocky last season, it was great to see a more solid season in season nine of Doctor Who. For the 42 Challenge I'll be reviewing it. Since several of the episodes this series were two parters I'm reviewing the two parts together.

The Magician's Apprentice and the Witch's Familiar

These episodes sees the reappearance of Missy (aka the Master) along with of course the Doctor and Clara. Davros, the creator of the Daleks along with is creations show up for a classic episode. I love how this episode showed the Doctor giving mercy to Davros as a child which caused Davros to instill a sense of mercy in the Daleks. A solid beginning to the series. 

Under the Lake and Before the Flood

I really enjoyed these episodes and that they had a deaf person and sign language! Very different but lots of fun. Plenty of scare as well. :) And the notecards that Clara made for the Doctor are so perfect. He needs them... he never says the right thing... much to our enjoyment. :)

The Girl who Died and The Women who Lived 

I preferred the Girl who Died over The Women who Lived but they were both enjoyable. The introduction of Ashildr (aka "Me") is interesting. Personally I'm not a fan of Ashildr but I do find her interesting. She's so sad and angry... I pity her. I think the Doctor is right on not taking her with him in the T.A.R.D.I.S. and I hope she doesn't become the next companion.

The Zygon Invasion and The Zygon Inversion

Maybe my favorites of the series, especially The Zygon Inversion. I love the Doctor's speech in it. Clara as Bonnie is well done and you can really see Jenna Coleman's acting talent in it. 

Sleep no More

I'm so-so on this episode and it seems the general opinion on this episode is all over the place... some love it some hate it. I'm in the middle somewhere. It was kind of boring but the concept was quite... original... and the twist at the end was unexpected. I am interested to see if they'll continue on with where the end of the episode left off.

Face the Raven

What to say about this episode? It was a good episode, great plot... but.... SPOILERS!!!
Massive spoilers below!!!

Clara died!!!! I mean we all knew she was going to leave sometime this series and my guess was that she would die but still... it was sad. Her speech to the doctor at the end was beautiful. Overall though I did feel like there was something lacking in her farewell. The question is though... is she really dead? I guess we'll find out. :)

END SPOILERS

Heaven Sent

What a cool episode! Very different then the others with mainly just the Doctor appearing in it the whole time. Quite chilling as well. And the reveal at the end! Ahhhh! I couldn't wait for the next episode! :) 

Hell Bent

Not what I expected. I do feel like after so much build up about finding Gallifrey when he actually found it he was just focusing on Clara... not on Gallifrey. It was a little anticlimactic. I'm not sure how I feel about the Clara twist either. I think it worked for the most part though. The Doctor really needed to let go of her and how they concluded that was pretty well done. Overall I enjoyed it. :)

There's my thoughts! Now I'm excitedly anticipating the Christmas special and the return of River Song!!!!! :) 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. My husband is a big Doctor Who fan, so we usually watch it on Saturday nights (well, he watches and I read and half-watch, probably why I don't understand most of it!). We are looking forward to finding out who the next companion will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to find out to! We've had Clara so long that it seems weird to change. :)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...