Friday, December 18, 2015

Book Reviews- Betsy-Tacy Series

I love this series! It's so sweet, so pink, so fluffy, so adorable! It's a little like Anne of Green Gables but younger and cuter. If you have a little girl this is the series for her! I read these books for the Women's reading challenge, the Hard Core Re-reading challenge and Betsy-Tacy Go Over the Big Hill I read for the key word challenge. I only re-read the first four books in the series because those are my favorites... after that they grow up too much. :(

Betsy-Tacy

Synopsis from Goodreads: There are lots of children on Hill Street, but no little girls Betsy's age. So when a new family moves into the house across the street, Betsy hopes they will have a little girl she can play with. Sure enough, they do--a little girl named Tacy. And from the moment they meet at Betsy's fifth birthday party, Betsy and Tacy becoms such good friends that everyone starts to think of them as one person--Betsy-Tacy. Betsy and Tacy have lots of fun together. They make a playhouse from a piano box, have a sand store, and dress up and go calling. And one day, they come home to a wonderful surprise--a new friend named Tib.
This is such a fun start to the series and I think the best. The girls' escapes are so adorable and the stories Betsy dreams up are sweet. I especially love her cloud story. 


Betsy-Tacy and Tib

Synopsis from Goodreads: Betsy and Tacy are best friends. Then Tib moves into the neighborhood and the three of them start to play together. The grown-ups think they will quarrel, but they don't. Sometimes they quarrel with Betsy's and Tacy's bossy big sisters, but they never quarrel among themselves. They are not as good as they might be. They cook up awful messes in the kitchen, throw mud on each other and pretend to be beggars, and cut off each other's hair. But Betsy, Tacy, and Tib always manage to have a good time.
The threesome can almost be more fun than the twosome! I love how Tib is the practical one and is always pointing out the obvious and Betsy and Tacy just ignore her. The everything pudding is one of my favorite stores but I also love when they cut off each other's hair. Such fun escapades!

Betsy-Tacy Go Over the Big Hill

Synopsis from Goodreads: Betsy, Tacy, and Tib can't wait to be ten. After all, getting two numbers in your age is the beginning of growing up—exciting things are bound to happen. And they do! The girls fall in love with the King of Spain, perform in the School Entertainment, and for the first time, go all the way over the Big Hill to Little Syria by themselves. There Betsy, Tacy, and Tib make new friends and learn a thing or two. They learn that new Americans are sometimes the best Americans. And they learn that they themselves wouldn't want to be anything else.
Another adorable addition to the series. I remember thinking pretty much the same thing about turning ten.... it was the beginning of being a grown up! Despite being "grown up" Betsy Tacy and Tib still manage to get into all sorts of messes and have tons of fun.

Betsy-Tacy Go Downtown 

Synopsis from Goodreads: Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are twelve—old enough to do lots of things...even go downtown on their own. There they see their first horseless carriage, discover the joys of the public library, and see a real play at the Opera House. They even find themselves acting in one! Best of all, they help a lonely new friend feel at home in Deep Valley—the most wonderful place in the world to grow up.
As another reviewer on Goodreads said, this is the last of the childhood of the three girls. It's interesting to see how people viewed with wonder the first "horseless carriage", something we take very much for granted today. I loved Betsy's trips to the library and her parents encouraging her to read Classic literature... though Lady Audley's secret is not trash... though it isn't high literature I'll admit.

It was so much fun to re-read this adorable series! Highly recommend. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I love this series! They have been with me, since I was young. I have only read most of them once, the first ones, I've reread several times. I guess that means that the series is going to have to go through a reread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read the first book in this series, and only a couple years ago. I don't know how I missed it as a kid, but I should definitely fix that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should read the next three at least. They're such fun and so sweet! :)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...