Thursday, December 3, 2015

Classics Club Spin December 2015

I haven't done a Classics Club spin all this year and I really missed it! I got so tied up in my reading challenges I had no room to wiggle with reading different books when I wanted to. Thankfully though it's almost the end of the year so I can participate in this one! :)
So what is the Classics Club spin? Basically you'll make a list of twenty books off of your classics club list in a blog post. This is your spin list. You then have to read one of those books before February 1, 2016. On December 7th the Classics Club will post a number from 1-20 which is the spin number and the book that corresponds to the number on your list of books is the one you'll read! I try to make it a bit of a challenge with listing books I'm really excited to read as well as including books I'm not quite as enthusiastic about. Be sure to check out the Classics Club's post about it HERE.
So here's my list!

Books I'm looking forward to!
1) The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens
2) The Once and Future King by T.H. White
3) The Complete Stories of Flannery O Conner by Flannery O Conner
4) Waverley by Sir Walter Scott
5) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

Books I'm neutral about

6) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
7) Adam Bede by George Elliot
8) The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot
9) Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
10) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Books I'm dreading (I've actually culled through my list a little this year and taken out some of the ones I just didn't think I'd like at all and didn't want to waste my time with... All that to say I'm just not really "dreading" any books majorly anymore)
11) The Divine Comedy by Dante
12) Dracula by Bram Stoker
13) Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
14) East of Eden by John Steinbeck
15) An American Tragedy by Theodor Dreiser

Shakespeare (Because I have a lot of Shakespeare on my Classics Club list... though I have gotten through a good chunk of them by now.)
16) The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
17) A Midsummer's Night Dream by William Shakespeare
18) The Tempest by William Shakespeare
19) Othello by William Shakespeare
20) Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

I'm excited to see which number gets picked!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

28 comments:

  1. Dracula is a great book. One of my favorite novels. I read it at least once a year, usually in October for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about it but I'm just not sure I'll enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. If you like audiobooks, Audible has a great edition of Dracula with Tim Curry, Alan Cummings, Katherine Kellgren, & Simon Vance. Very well done.

      Delete
    3. I do! I will definitely look into that!

      Delete
  2. *Grinning* I'd have a lot of similar titles -- except that the ones I've read would be arranged slightly differently. Your first five I've been shying away from (except Waverly, which I read years ago) and I've read Adam Bede and I LOVE Crime and Punishment -- one of my Top Ten Favorite Books of All Time (even if it does set you spinning a bit, so I'd recommend it with caution ;D). And I really enjoyed almost all of The Divine Comedy.

    And.... same here. I have friends who highly recommend Dracula and the quotes I've seen so far are super intriguing. I just haven't quite made up my mind. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Brothers Karamaxov when I read it earlier this year so I'm intrigued to read another Dostoevsky.

      Delete
  3. East of Eden is on my list too and I'm not exactly dreading it, but it's not one that I'm particularly hoping for. I did enjoy Dracula, though! Good luck on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps? I think East of Eden was really, really good. And I expected not to like it. :)

      Delete
  4. East of Eden is wonderful! And I'm currently reading (well, listening to) The Return of the Native, which is really good so far. I'm listening to an audio narrated by Alan Rickman and even though I could listen to him reading the telephone directory, the story is really great. Good luck with your Spin pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound heavenly! I love it when famous actors and actresses narrate books!

      Delete
  5. That's a good list, I've read nine of them. For years I avoided Dracula but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I always avoid Dickens, I can't get past what a ghastly person he was in reality. I should have put some Shakespeare on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Dracula earlier this year, and it really wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I actually enjoyed reading it quite a bit. The Age of Innocence is one of my favorite books. I am reading Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood at the moment, but sadly I am not really getting on with it. Hopefully, you'll like it much better, should the Spin give us #3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some really positive reviews of the age of innocence do I'm intrigued to see if it lives up to its glowing reviews.

      Delete
  7. Great list, Lois! Lots of good choices, so it's hard to say which I hope you'd get. I think any could be good! Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the deleted comment - that profile I posted under seems to be a dead-end or something. Anyway, I read East of Eden last month, and for a long book, it actually clips along. I loved it.

    Good luck with whatever book is chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's encouraging! Don't mind King books as long as they keep me engaged. :)

      Delete
  9. I loved East of Eden - my favourite Steinbeck to date.

    We'll both be reading Wharton if no 5 spins up :-)

    Happy spin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't enthralled with Of Mice and Mem when I read it so I'm hoping for better things with East of Eden.

      Delete
  10. I loved East of Eden - my favourite Steinbeck to date.

    We'll both be reading Wharton if no 5 spins up :-)

    Happy spin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope it would be better than Of Mice and Men, which is the only other Steinbeck I've read.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you're not really dreading East of Eden or An American Tragedy... loved them both!
    Good luck Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the ones I'm really actually more neutral about. ;)

      Delete
  12. The Once and Future King! The Once and Future King! I have read that book so many times. I think you should read it anyway, even if it's not the spin number. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to read it anyways. I've heard a lot about it and it sounds like it would be fun. :)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...