Saturday, March 8, 2014

Book Review-The War of the Worlds

For my reading challenges I need to write reviews of the books I read. I don't consider myself very good at literary analysis (maybe a little better at film reviews) but as I have to, here goes.... My review of H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds.
Prior to reading the book I was only familiar with the old film version. Now that I have finished the book I'm going to try out the more recent film version with Tom Cruise.
The War of the Worlds, I'm given to understand was fairly revolutionary for its time, and you have to keep that in mind when reading it. It was a slow paced book but quite intriguing. The contemplations of the main character are fascinating as he goes between despair and hope and watches others around him succumb to insanity in the wake of the terror. The science part of it was good, but as I read it in this time period and not in the time in which it was written, some of its wonder is probably lost on me. Overall though I enjoyed it. I gave it three stars on Goodreads, meaning to me that it was good but I probably won't ever re-read it.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking your review to the Back to the Classics Challenge. However, I noticed you linked it as a 20th century classic. War of the Worlds was first published in 1897, which would actually make it a 19th century classic. Did you want to change it over to that category. Or you could use it as your Classic Adapted as a Movie/TV Series -- I saw in your review that you were going to watch a film adaptation. Just let me know in the comments section on my blog if you want to change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... obviously I need to check publication dates a little more closely. :) If you'd change it over to the 19th century category that would be much appreciated. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. I think your thoughts make a lot of sense - I felt the same way. I found it rather slow/boring, but I had to remind myself that I was reading it a half-century after its publication. It was quite innovative for its time, definitely. Not my favorite book, but worth the read.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...