Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review: Don't Waste Your Life

For the non-fiction reading challenge, I am writing a review of John Piper's Don't Waste your Life.

Goodread synopsis: John Piper writes, "I will tell you what a tragedy is. I will show you how to waste your life. Consider this story from the February 1998 Reader's Digest: A couple 'took early retirement from their jobs in the Northeast five years ago when he was 59 and she was 51. Now they live in Punta Gorda, Florida, where they cruise on their 30-foot trawler, play softball and collect shells. . . .' Picture them before Christ at the great day of judgment: 'Look, Lord. See my shells.' That is a tragedy.
"God created us to live with a single passion to joyfully display his supreme excellence in all the spheres of life. The wasted life is the life without this passion. God calls us to pray and think and dream and plan and work not to be made much of, but to make much of him in every part of our lives."
Most people slip by in life without a passion for God, spending their lives on trivial diversions, living for comfort and pleasure, and perhaps trying to avoid sin. This book will warn you not to get caught up in a life that counts for nothing. It will challenge you to live and die boasting in the cross of Christ and making the glory of God your singular passion. If you believe that to live is Christ and to die is gain, read this book, learn to live for Christ, and don't waste your life!


I really enjoyed this book. In some ways it was "revolutionary" for me and in others it wasn't.  As someone who has been a Christian for as long as they can remember, I feel there wasn't as much I could pull out of it. HOWEVER, there is always something more you can be learning about the Christian's life and I did learn from it quite a bit. 
Overall it gave me some great food for thought and I would recommend it to every Christian no matter what stage of their faith they are in.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I was not raised Christian, so I find books such as this one very helpful. Thank you for the review. A book that has given me hope for my soul is the book, "Held By The Hand Of God: Why Am I Alive"http://heldbythehandofgod.com/ by author Joe Laws. It is an amazing account of good vs. evil and good will win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I hope that if you try this book out you'll find it helpful. :)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...