- Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfield- A childhood favorite and one you should definitely hand this one to your children.
- The Mad Scientist Club by Bertrand R. Brinley- This is for the geeky kids out there. Just kidding, it's for all the kids. :)
- Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robison- Such a fun story.
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald- This was one of my favorite little series as a kid. Basically the books are about a widowed old lady who comes up with cures for children's bad behavior.
- Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks- A pig that talks and solves mysteries. Sign me up! ;)
- My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett- Stuck on an island with all sorts of odd creatures who's to rescue you? A dragon of course!
- Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques- Everyone knows about Jacques's Redwall series but his other series is not as well known but it's still quite enjoyable.
- The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgleish- I don't remember this book terribly well but I do recall loving it as a kid. It's a great story for teaching about bravery as well as the settlers pioneering new terrain.
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spear- I recently handed my sister this book and she loved it. Her enthusiastic gushings reminded me how much I too had loved it as a child.
- The Saturdays Elizabeth Enright- A delightful story about a family who each Saturday one child gets to take the joint allowance of everyone and do whatever they want.
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken- One of my hands down favorite books as a kid.
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg- Siblings hiding out in a museum. :)
Have a kid? Hand these books to them now? Don't have a kid? Read them yourself now! ;)
Follow my blog with Bloglovin