Friday, February 5, 2016

Book Review- Matilda

MatildaFor the Shelf Love Challenge and the Mount TBR Pile Challenge I read Roald Dahl's novel Matilda.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. 
I can't believe it took me so long to read this book! I'm not sure how I missed it as a kid as I read many of Roald Dahl's other novels. This, though, I think is his best. A book loving little girl who's reading all the great classics when she's four. Yes please! I love little Matilda and Miss Honey. They're so perfect. Matilda's parents I CAN'T STAND! Oh my goodness they were so aggravating! I can't exactly approve of Matilda's pranks against them but they were quite humorous. :)
The Truchbull was a perfect villain. Evil, diabolical... kind of like Harry Potter's Professor Umbridge. She knew no bounds. The story was fun and humorous but also contained some wisdom. A great children's book. I'm glad I discovered this one. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this one too! This is my favorite Dahl book. The movie was pretty good as well (: Dahl is excellent at creating a perfect contrast between the nastiest characters and the most loveable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've read the book I want to try out the movie!

      Delete
  2. I never read this as a kid either, but I've read it several times with my children. It's one of my daughter's favorite books. I second the movie recommendation. Pam Ferris made a diabolical Miss Trunchbull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw Pam Ferris played her I was very pleased. I can envision her doing a great job.

      Delete
  3. How DID you miss this one? It's one of my favorites from my childhood. Have you seen the movie yet? It's actually a pretty decent adaptation. There's also a Broadway musical which I haven't seen, so I can neither recommend it nor advise against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure! I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm going to try to get around to it soon.

      Delete
  4. I love this one! The movie is good, too. My sister and I loved both as kids.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...