Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Book Review- Trusting God

As I said on Goodreads (and if you aren't my friend on Goodreads where have you been?), I think Jerry Bridges book Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts is one of the best books I have ever read and is a vital read for all Christians no matter what stage of life they are in. Since my grandfather passed away this last December, I have really been wanting to read this book. God's sovereignty was not something I was doubting, but I wanted that reassurance. One of my favorite parts of Trusting God was how heavily it referenced scripture throughout.
Throughout this review, I'm heavily going to quote the book, because Jerry Bridges says it better than I ever could. :)
The crux of the book is this question that Bridges poses: Does God actually control the circumstances of our lives, or do "bad" things just happen to us because we live in a sin-cursed world? If God really does control the circumstances of our lives, why did He allow my friend to get cancer? Can I really trust when the going gets tough in different areas of my life? 
I love the purpose of the book that he lays out: The purpose of this book is twofold: First, I desire to glorify God by acknowledging His sovereignty and His goodness. Second, I desire to encourage God's people by demonstrating from scripture that God is in control of their lives, that He does indeed love them, and that He works out all the circumstances of their lives for their ultimate good. 
So that kind of lays out the basis of the book. Now I'll speak to some of it's content.
I love one portion of it when it talks about how sometimes it is easier to obey God than trust God because obeying God is often straight forward in that we know the laws that God has set out for us but the instances in which we trust God oftentimes don't make sense to us. I found that very relatable. And then there is this beautiful and thought-provoking quote; When we disobey God we defy His authority and despise His holiness. But when we fail to trust God we doubt His sovereignty and question His goodness.
Next, Bridges talks about the truths that we must adhere to if we are to trust God during the bad times. The are:

  • God is completely sovereign 
  • God is infinite in wisdom
  • God is perfect in love
Bridges quote a verse from Lamentations that I unfortunately don't recall ever having heard before but I thought was absolutely excellent, revenant and reassuring. 
Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? It is not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?- Lamentations 3:37-38
He also references Romans 11, saying that; We must learn to trust what we do not understand. 
Another quote I love is; Our first priority in times of adversity is to honor and glorify God by trusting Him.
There are so many other great points and quotes from this book but I think my review will go on for forever if I keep going so I'll just leave you with the charge to read this book!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I have had this book for a while but I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...