Sunday, October 5, 2014

Book Review- Christian Love

For my Non-fiction reading challenge and my Clouds of Witnesses reading challenge I read Hugh Binnings book Christian Love.
Goodreads synopsis: In this Treatise of Christian Love, the Scottish Covenanting minister Hugh Binning movingly presents the need for Christians to show by their love for one another that they belong to Christ. Basing his remarks on John 13:35, By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another, he argues, 'This badge that Christ left to his disciples: if we cast this away on every disagreement, we disown our Master, and disclaim his token and badge.' Binning describes the excellence of Christian love, demonstrating its nature from 1 Corinthians 13. he gives strong reasons why Christians should love one another, and shows that love is rooted in Christian humility and meekness, after the pattern of Christ himself. Also included in this edition are three sermons from Binning's work The Sinner's Sanctuary, an exposition of Romans 8:1-15.
First off, I've got to say that I am incredibly impressed that Binning was 25 years old when he died so whenever he wrote this, he must have been quite young... and yet already so theologically astute! Binning had a lot to say about love and how Christian love is different than secular love. He also spoke quite a bit to Christ's love for us and how that should be our standard for loving others. 
Here is in amazing quote from the book to highlight, far better than my words ever could, the wisdom and insight of this book. 
“Self-love is the greatest enemy to true Christian love, and pride is the fountain of self-love” “He whose sins are covered by God’s free love cannot think it hard to spread the garment of his love over his brother’s sins” “Humility makes a man compare himself with the best that he may find how bad he himself is, but pride measures by the worst, that it may hide a man from his own imperfections”
I couldn't recommend this book highly enough! Yes, it is sometimes difficult to read but oftentimes that just means it is even more worth the read. :) 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...