Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When it Comes to Romance in Books

I've got a lot of opinions about romance and you probably know this if you've read my blog. I tend to disparage mushy gushy stuff. I will admit that I am somewhat a romantic myself but I can't stand the mushy gushy that pervades what I would call the "typical romance novel", of which I don't think I've ever read any but I think it's safe to say I've picked up enough.
I am though a big fan of Jane Austen's novels but in my opinion there is a world of difference between her books and romance novels. Read my full rant on that HERE.
So anyways, with the Top Ten Tuesday for this week being things I like/dislike when it comes to romance in books, you are going to get even more of my thoughts on the matter. I'm going to split it up into a list of aspects I like and a list of aspects I dislike. And no... I don't actually have ten. I couldn't think of ten but I'm sure there are ten out there. ;)

Likes

  1. I really enjoy the brother sister friendship that develops into love. My favorite example of this is Jane Austen's Emma and it's also done pretty well in the Harry Potter series.  
  2. I like some tension in my romance in books. The example I think first of isn't even a book but I think of Han Solo and Princess Leia from Star Wars. However, there are tons of book examples for example in my all time favorite Pride and Prejudice Lizzie and Mr. Darcy have lots of tension going on. 
  3. Respect is very important for me in a romance. Again I think of Pride and Prejudice and I compare Mr. and Mrs. Bennet's marriage of zero respect to say Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner's marriage of mutual respect and I anticipate that same kind of marriage for Lizzie and Mr. Darcy. 

Dislikes

  1. As said earlier, my major dislike is mushy gushy, kissy, ucky, bleh. Especially if they're kissing during an action scene. Hello! Bad guys attacking and you're kissing? 
  2. Love at first sight... unrealistic. Here's how it happens: Girl- "He's hot." Guy- "She's hot." Conclusion: We're in love. Reality: They think each other is hot. 
  3. A romance that doesn't seem to make sense. If two characters get together that I didn't see together either I think "Oh, I didn't see that coming but it actually really works" or "Where in the world did they get that idea from?" So no, I'm not necessarily going to dislike a romance that surprises me, but it needs to make sense once I think about it. 
  4. I'm sure there's a lot more negative things out there but since I haven't read any actual romance novels I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. I've heard love triangles are normally horrible, and I think they would be but from what I've heard but I've never read a book that I can think of that has one. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about love at first sight- it happens all the time in books, but in real life good relationships take time! I think the best fictional relationships are ones that happen gradually, like in real life. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I also hate the love at first sight thing. It is just so unrealistic. I also hate love triangles. I think they are very overused and cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! And I love that you brought up respect since no one really pays attention to that! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad that respect isn't viewed as highly anymore when it really is a huge factor in relationships.

      Delete
  4. I agree with everything you said, especially about Jane Austen and romance. I would not classify her work as romance novels at all, because there is so much going on in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yep, respect is a HUGE thing for me, too. I really dislike one-sided romances, or where one character tries to control and influence the other. I completely agree with kissing etc during an action/fight scene! It's all about the timing, for me. A nice smooch is one thing... but not when someone is about to attack you!! Some times it's just cringe worthy, and I'd love to reach into the book and shake the characters :) Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to talk to my books and movies and tell them what they should be doing *blushes*. My siblings don't always appreciate that though. ;)

      Delete
  6. Respect is huge for me! I read a book where the Hero thought the Heroine was really flaky and even though I liked them both and liked the side characters and all that I can't say I enjoyed the book because it centered mainly around the relationship and I mostly wanted to tell her to run! I also have issues with love scenes in the middle of action scenes. I read a book where the hero and heroine were after a kidnapped child (which belonged to the hero by the way) and they took time to have a full on love scene in a carriage or something. Really? It was a bit too much. Shockingly that wasn't the only flaw in that story! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! Your comment makes me aware of how bad it really can get! :(

      Delete
  7. Respect is a great one! And the Bennets are a perfect cautionary tale. Their interactions make me shudder. Good thing Jane and Elizabeth were wiser in finding their husbands! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. I think Jane and Elizabeth will be very happy in their marriages. I think it's also interesting to contrast their marriages with Wickham's and Lydia's. I often wonder how similar the Wickham's and Mr. and Mrs. Bennet's would end up.

      Delete
  8. Hee, the love at first sight thing! It's so accurate;) That really frustrates me often, but sometimes I have to just ignore it if the rest of the movie/book is really good or has redeeming elements;) *cough looking at you, TSP-and-basically-every-Disney-movie-ever*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it works better in The Scarlet Pimpernel then it does in most movies but it is still pretty ridiculous. Disney is just Disney. ;)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...