So discussion time! I LOVED the discussion that we got going last week. If you missed out on it be sure to take a look at it HERE.
Here are this week's discussion questions and if you have further thoughts let them flow! Once again I'm stealing questions from Peter Leithart's marvelous book Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen.
- What kind of man is Mr. Woodhouse?
- What is the real evil of Emma's condition? What effects has this on her? How is she an egoist?
- What are the qualities necessary to provide moral guidance? How does Emma show that she lacks these qualities in her dealings with Harriet?
- How does Mr. Knightley display these qualities?
- Explain how different characters use or abuse manners?
- Examine several of Mr. Elton's speeches. How would you characterize his speech? What does this reveal about him?
And a continuation of last week's question....
- What's your current opinion of the characters? Emma? Mr. Knightley? Harriet? Mr. Elton? Mr. Woodhouse? Ect.? Has it changed from your initial opinion?
I know a lot of you are aware of what's going to happen in the next couple chapters but for the sake of those who don't keep spoilers to a minimum. It's times like these that I wish we had read a couple chapters more!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin