Thursday, February 20, 2014

Book Review- Mary Poppins

I've been writing a lot about re-reading the Mary Poppins books after having watched Saving Mr. Banks. I'm reading the last one right now but I'm reading to go ahead and give you my final opinion on them. First off, I love them! In my opinion, a good children's book is one that all ages can enjoy and the Mary Poppins books achieve that. I find them as enjoyable now (or maybe even more enjoyable) as I did when I first read them as a kid.

The character of Mary Poppins in the stories is so much fun. She is quite full of herself, but in an endearing way. Every chapter she takes the children on some new adventure and then at the end of the day she pretends it never happens, leaving Michael saying "But you were there!" And then normally referencing her dancing or floating around on the ceiling or something else of that sort, which of course isn't the smartest as then Mary Poppins gives him the evil eye and declares that Mary Poppins does not do such improper things. Poor Michael. :)

How the family grows through the stories isn't great too. You see how the family is so discombobulated before Mary Poppins arrives and then is set to rights in a twinkling of an eye. Unlike in the movie there are actually four children, and then a fifth is born along the way. However, Jane and Michael are far more prominent in the story then the younger children.

When it comes to the movie, while I do enjoy it, it will never live up to the imagination inspired by the books. I can definitely see why P.L. Travers was upset about how the movie turned out. However, because I have sentimental values attached to the movie having watched it since I can remember, I could never totally reject it. I guess I will just have to think of them as separate entities.

So all in all I HIGHLY recommend the Mary Poppins books to ALL ages. They're not long and they're tons of fun. You have no excuse. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. After watching Saving Mr. Banks I have been thinking about reading Mary Poppins, I have always wanted too. I just never got around to it. Mary Poppins is my all time favorite Disney movie and I have watched it at least a 100 times or more..lol. I really must read these! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving Mr. Banks was my inspiration for re-reading them. I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  2. I didn't even know Mary Poppins was a book before it was a movie! P.L Travers might be REALLY upset about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! You would not be in her good books for sure. ;)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...