Monday, January 20, 2014

Movie Review- Much Ado About Nothing (2012)

I am not a great Shakespeare fan, not saying that I don't enjoy Shakespeare, but I'm not head over heels in love with his works and know them all backwards and forwards. My two favorites have always been Much Ado about Nothing, and The Taming of the Shrew, though I enjoy all of his plays. I've been wanting to see this version of Much Ado about Nothing since hearing about it and had high expectations. I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed. Just a note, this is my first film version I have seen so far so I have nothing to compare it with. I have heard rave reviews about the Kenneth Branaugh, Emma Thompson version though, so I'm sure it's good as well.
Just a warning, despite it being a great adaptation, it does have two bad scenes that I just dimmed my computer screen for. You can read more specifics about those two scene and anything else that you might find objectionable on IMDB's parent guide here.
Everything else about though I loved! Joss Whedon did a great job of putting it in present day without really changing much of anything. The black and white was interesting and, in my opinion, not bad. The lines were pretty much all the same as to the play. I don't claim to know the play perfectly but all of the lines at least sounded right. :)
The casting was incredible and I loved all of the character's performances. Clark Gregg as Leonato was a surprise to me but I really enjoyed his performance, though it was hard to separate him from his normal superhero affiliations. :) Nathan Fillion's portrayal of Dogberry was outstandingly humorous as all of Nathan Fillion's performances are. :)
I recommend it but as mentioned above, there are some questionable scenes so be sure to look into those. Overall though, I really enjoyed the movie and I will definitely rewatch it in the future.

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...