Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tolkien Geek?

During the first half of January I enjoyed re-reading the Lord of the Rings and I don't know why but this time it really just clicked for me.  I had read it probably two or three times before that and I had always liked it okay but this time I LOVED it.  In fact, after I finished it I really just wanted to re-read it again.  I was told by one person that it was because I had changed, which is probably true, and by another that it was called "sanctification". :)
However, the real question now is am I a Tolkien geek?  According to my brother not only should I have read the Lord of the Rings (including the appendices) and The Hobbit, but I also will need to have read at least The Silmarillion as well to be a Tolkien geek.  So now I am working on The Silmarillion so I can move up to that much coveted level of geekieness.  After that, if I am still in the Tolkien mood, I might try some others of his works.
I just continue to be fascinated at the whole world that Tolkien created and how he puts so much into it that you could almost believe it is real... you definitely want to.  The style of his writing is incredibly beautiful, something I think will never be imitated, not matter how many Tolkien wannabes there are. However, we will still continue to try.  I know that after I finished reading them I told my sister that I would just have to go back and re-write my whole book now.  Then she accused ME of being a Tolkien wannabe!
So my advice to all of you is this, maybe you never liked The Lord of the Rings when you first read (or tried to read it) but who knows, you might have become "sanctified" too.  So try it again.  I can't promise you'll love it but you SHOULD. :)

Lois Johnson, avid writer, tea drinker, and reader but first and foremost, avid Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...