Thursday, July 30, 2015

Book (Play) Review- Pygmalion

For the literary movement challenge, the mount TBR challenge, the monthly motif challenge and the Classics Club I read Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion.
Synopsis from Wikipedia: Professor of phonetics Henry Higgins makes a bet that he can train a bedraggled Cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, to pass for a duchess at an ambassador's garden party by teaching her to assume a veneer of gentility, the most important element of which, he believes, is impeccable speech. The play is a sharp lampoon of the rigid British class system of the day and a commentary on women's independence.
I grew up watching My Fair Lady, the musical adaptation of Pygmalion so I was pretty familiar with the story. I've also seen a black and white film version with Leslie Howard as Henry Higgins that I recall being pretty good. It's actually incredible how close the two are. There were several direct quotes in the film even in the music! One thing I noted that Henry Higgins was (if this is possible) meaner to Eliza than he is in My Fair Lady. Now let me say here I actually find Henry Higgins absolutely hilarious and I love him but I think in real life he would drive me crazy! He treats Eliza like she is a hobby, a pastime, an amusement. Colonel Pickering does that somewhat as well but not as badly as Higgins. I just feel that while they do that in the movie, it's much more obvious in the book.
There's a strong statement in there for Eliza's independence, which is actually well done I think. The Monthly Motif theme for this month is a character who stands up for something they believe in and I think Eliza really stands up for herself in this story.
At the end, she actually ends up marrying Freddy! That disappointed me! I'm not sure she should marry Henry Higgins but I don't think she should marry Freddy! However, from what it tells of their marriage I do think it turned out well and they learned from each other.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book, so I was very happy when I saw that you wrote a review.

    Is it really possible for Professor Higgins to be meaner to Eliza? I know in My Fair Lady, he was really mean and didn't care a wink about her., which infuriated me. Poor Eliza.

    What was the black and white film version with Lesley Howard like? Or how was it compared to the book?

    I know that Eliza marrying Freddy was a disappointment to you, but I'm actually rather glad because I always that Professor Higgins would never give her the love she deserved when they were married. Now I really am dying to read this book, so toodles (as I go place a hold for it at the library). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall (it's been probably ten years since I've seen it) the Leslie Howard version was good and compared well at least to My Fair Lady (which was all I had to compare it to at the time) so it must compare well to the book.
      Yeah, I was never sure how I felt about Henry Higgins marrying Eliza but I didn't want her to marry Freddy!

      Delete
  2. I have, as I think I've told you, a copy with both Pygmalion and My Fair Lady in it, so I hope to read them both eventually:D

    Haha, he's meaner?! Wow! But YAY, finally another blogger who actually likes 'Enry 'Iggins! I frankly adore the man, even though, like you said, he'd probably drive me ballistic if I encountered him in real life:D

    Excellent review! I feel better-prepared for the book now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be super cool to read! I know! So many people hate on him but he's SO funny!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea when I first read Pygmalion that it would end differently from My Fair Lady, and IIRC, when I got to the end, I tossed the book in the air and shouted "Hooray!" because I have never wanted her to marry Henry Higgins (he's hilarious, but what a spoiled brat!) and I've always felt so sad for Freddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I'm not sure who I feel about Freddy but I don't think he's bright enough for Eliza.

      Delete
    2. I think Eliza is bright enough for both of them, but not so super-intelligent that she will become annoyed by Freddy's vaguely vacuous sweetness. Honestly, I'm an intelligent woman married to an intelligent man, but if I had to choose between a man who was very intelligent but unkind, or only acceptably intelligent but quite kind, I'd go for kindness every time. You've gotta live with this guy for the next 40 or 50 years -- niceness is essential for me.

      Delete
    3. I really like your comment and you feel like you just made Pygmalion/My Fair Lady clearer for me. I would definitely say go for someone acceptably intelligent but kind and that is what Eliza did .

      Delete
    4. Thank you! I'm glad it helped you figure out the ending a bit more :-)

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...