Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Book Review- The Eyre Affair

27003Finally! I've been recommended this book for years now and I was so excited to get it in the secret santa. It was the first book I picked up this year because I couldn't wait to read it.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Welcome to a surreal version of Great Britain, circa 1985, where time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, veryseriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem, militant Baconians heckle performances of Hamlet, and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection, until someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature. When Jane Eyre is plucked from the pages of Brontë's novel, Thursday must track down the villain and enter the novel herself to avert a heinous act of literary homicide.
As a book lover, and more specifically a classics lover, I couldn't help but be fascinated by this book. It's a book nerd's dream. As a time travel aficionado this book was also a success.
Thursday Next made a fun protagonist and Acheron Hades a chilling villain. The other characters popping up in the book, like her dad and her uncle I also really enjoyed. The plot and writing was quite clever, though I feel like it sometimes tried to be too clever. The side plot of who wrote Shakespeare was intriguing and it's (semi) conclusion was surprising. I wonder if it gets continued in the next book in the series as I don't feel like we have a proper conclusion for that yet?

Overall I enjoyed it but I did have some qualms. There was some (not a copious amount but it was there) language in it that I didn't appreciate and frankly wasn't necessary. I also really wish that we could have seen more of Thursday's and Landen's relationship because I almost wanted her to get with Braxton instead because I felt like we knew him better. And yes, I get that the whole relationship thing is supposed to be mirroring Jane Eyre and that Braxton is St. John Rivers. However that actually annoyed me as I liked Braxton and I didn't want that analogy drawn because I thought it was unfair to him as he is far better than St. John Rivers.

Overall I'd recommend it. Next time I read it I'll definitely be going through it with whiteout though.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you read The Eyre Affair! Please persist with the series - they only get better and better. There's less language and violence. I read a quote from Jasper Fforde once that said he regretted making Thursday so gun-loving and tough in the first book. And there's lots more of Landen to come. :)

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...