Sunday, August 24, 2014

Book Review- Lord of the Flies

One of the newer classics that I finally got around to reading. I think I am probably the only person left in the world that didn't know how it ended. ;) However, by the time I got to the end of the book I wasn't surprised that's how it turned out.
Here's the synopsis from Goodreads: William Golding's compelling story about a group of very ordinary small boys marooned on a coral island has become a modern classic. At 1st, it seems as though it's all going to be great fun; but the fun before long becomes furious & life on the island turns into a nightmare of panic & death. As ordinary standards of behavior collapse, the whole world the boys know collapses with them—the world of cricket & homework & adventure stories—& another world is revealed beneath, primitive & terrible. Lord of the Flies remains as provocative today as when it was 1st published in 1954, igniting passionate debate with its startling, brutal portrait of human nature. Though critically acclaimed, it was largely ignored upon its initial publication. Yet soon it became a cult favorite among both students ^ literary critics who compared it to J.D. Salinger'sThe Catcher in the Rye in its influence on modern thought & literature. Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse, Lord of the Flies has established itself as a classic.
As my Dad said, Lord of the Flies effectively shows the doctrine of total depravity in a very sad and real way. I was kept engaged throughout the book, continually being shocked and intrigued into reading more. I don't like to tell more without giving everything away as maybe I'm not the only person in the world who hasn't read it. ;) However, I would highly encourage you to read it and I think you will find it a thought provoking book.
After reading it, I mentioned to my cousin that I thought there could be parallels drawn between it and The Hunger Games (though to be fair I haven't read The Hunger Games) and he informed me that many people have already drawn that parallel. Well I didn't know that! I'm just so ingenious as to come up with idea myself. ;) However, that is food for thought. I think when reading any book, even if it is just a novel meant to entertain, we need to look at it deeply and realize what exactly we are taking in from it.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Yep....Golding's classic is an astute commentary on the human condition. I believe the only reason it isn't ranked higher on some lists, is the political incorrectness of his worldview...that we are not innately good.
    My review: http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-lord-of-flies-by-william-golding.html

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...