Monday, April 17, 2017

It's Monday! Depression and Anxiety

This past week I finished a book that I've been reading for quite a long time but has never shown up in my It's Monday posts and it took me awhile to even put it on Goodreads. Why? Cause I was a little ashamed... though I shouldn't have been. The book is Depression: Looking up From the Stubborn Darkness and as is obvious from the title it deals with depression though it also deals with anxiety. I started reading it two years ago with my mentor... it's taken us a long time (she's a much slower reader than I am) but I've finally finished it! Back when I started it I was in the midst of nursing school. With my grandma's stroke and then my grandpa's failing health I had begun to deal some with anxiety and depression but nursing school dramatically increased them both... especially my anxiety. Anxiety and Depression were not something really talked about growing up and unwittingly I became under the impression they were something we didn't talk about. That's not my parents fault at all and I do have a very open relationship with them both. Thanks to my mentor as well as my parents my anxiety and depression never got too bad. This book was a huge encouraging influence on me as well and was incredibly helpful. It didn't read like one of those self help books... it was practical and biblical wisdom with real stories from real people who had dealt with these issues. I cannot recommend it enough whether you are struggling with anxiety and depression or are a friend or family member of someone dealing with anxiety or depression.
Now I'm not saying that I'm "cured" or that I ever will be. But I'm in a much better place than I used to be. Yes I get anxious sometimes though I really don't get depressed too much anymore. I'm equipped now to deal with those issues when they come. Will I always respond perfectly? No! But by God's grace I'll respond well at least most of the time.
Final thoughts before I get to my normal It's Monday business... If you are dealing with anxiety and depression know that you are not alone and do not be afraid to get help. :)

Finished this Week

  • Depression: Looking up From the Stubborn Darkness by Edward T. Welch
  • Gilead by Marilynn Robinson 

Currently Reading

  • Catching Foxes by John Henderson
  • In Freedom's Cause by G.A. Henty (audiobook) (re-read)
  • Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey

Coming Soon

  • Home by Marilynn Robinson 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to find such a helpful book, and I hope you stay on the path of being able to manage such difficult issues! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is a beautiful book. My favorite of her books is Housekeeping. I'm back from my trip. It didn't turn out as planned but we had fun. Come see what we did and what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks awesome -- I'm going to recommend it to a friend. Thanks for opening up and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...