Thursday, November 12, 2015

Book Review- Mysterious Island

For the Mount TBR challenge, the Authors A-Z challenge, Chunkster challenge, the Full House reading challenge and the Classics Club I read Jules Verne's classic science fiction novel Mysterious Island.
Synopsis from Goodreads: Five Union prisoners escape from the siege of Richmond in a balloon, are blown off course and crash on an uncharted island. They must learn to rebuild a society for themselves while awaiting rescue.
At it's core Mysterious Island is a castaway story and I have always loved a good castaway story. Add to a good castaway story some science fiction and we're in business! Jules Verne placed some geniuses on that island some of my favorite parts were reading about them making a kiln or glass or other such things you'd think no one would be able to make on a deserted island! If you have a son that loves inventing or wants to be a wilderness survivor this book is for him! They have basically nothing but are yet able to make so much out of that nothing. True they get a little help later on but overall they did so much themselves through dedication and hardwork. Those are both some good lessons to learn from. Their resourcefulness is inspiring! The reintroduction of Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is intriguing. Overall I thought he had mellowed since we last met him and he seemed to be maybe somewhat sorry for all he had done. It was nice to conclude his story.
Overall I loved this story and it's probably my second favorite of Verne's novels (Around the World in 80 Days is my favorite).

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...