Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Classics Club Spin #16

It's been a long time sine I've done a Classics Club spin but I need to get that list done so this is just a bit more incentive.
Here's the rules
  • Go to your blog.
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, re-reads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog before Friday, November 17th.
  • That morning (11/17), we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  • The challenge is to read that book by December 31, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)

Books I'm Dreading

1) The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
2) East of Eden by John Steinbek
3) Moby Dick by Herman Melville 
4) Adam Bede by George Elliot 
5) The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot 

Books I Can't Wait to Read

6) The 39 Steps by John Buchan
7) Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs
8) Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson
9) Arsenic and Old Lace by Joseph Kesselring 
10) Cyarno de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand 

Books I Feel Neutral About

11) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevesky 
12) Kim by Rudyard Kipling 
13) Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes
14) Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
15) Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Free Choice (Shakespeare)

16) Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare (mine)
17) Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare (mine)
18) The Tempest by William Shakespeare (mine)
19) Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare (mine)
20) Richard III by William Shakespeare (mine)

10 comments:

  1. We have four books in common on our spin list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. East of Eden is really awesome! Mine is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2017/11/08/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-16/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, don't dread your #s 1 & 2. I've read both, & they're a couple of my favorites. I dreaded them too, before I read them. I've also read half of your # 3 & LOVE it. (Although clearly not enough to have read the second half yet, ha ha.) :)

    That said, I hope you get #7 because it's quite fun & it's on your can't wait list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #10 and #13 are two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Daniel Deronda by George Eliot on my spin list, and I have to admit I'm not looking forward to it. It's huge! Cyrano de Bergerac is also on my list. I haven't read Arsenic and Old Lace, but I've seen the play and it was great. Hope you get the one you want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I hadn't realised Arsenic and Old Lace was a book - I love that film! So I'd quite like for you to get that so I could hear what you think of it. ;) Hope you get one from your Can't Wait to Read section... and not Moby-Dick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the books you're dreading are pretty good. I wouldn't want to try to read Moby Dick again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. East of Eden is my favourite Steinbeck to date, so no need to dread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous read. I too want to read East of Eden, and a friend assures me it's nothing but wonderful, like Brona Joy too. I did choose a different Steinbeck because I went for books I own, but I will surely read that book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great spin list! The Portrait of a Lady and the Return of the Native also made my list, and several others are on my master list. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...