Saturday, November 29, 2014

Book Review- The Last of Mohicans

I just got back from a great trip up to Minnesota for Thanksgiving. I'm glad to be back but it was tons of fun! There are two new babies in the family so I had lots of cuddling time. :)
For my TBR Pile Challenge and the Classics Club I read James Fenimore Cooper's novel The Last of the Mohicans.
Synopsis from Goodreads: The wild rush of action in this classic frontier adventure story has made The Last of the Mohicans the most popular of James Fenimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Deep in the forests of upper New York State, the brave woodsman Hawkeye (Natty Bumppo) and his loyal Mohican friends Chingachgook and Uncas become embroiled in the bloody battles of the French and Indian War. The abduction of the beautiful Munro sisters by hostile savages, the treachery of the renegade brave Magua, the ambush of innocent settlers, and the thrilling events that lead to the final tragic confrontation between rival war parties create an unforgettable, spine-tingling picture of life on the frontier. And as the idyllic wilderness gives way to the forces of civilization, the novel presents a moving portrayal of a vanishing race and the end of its way of life in the great American forests.
First off, I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the storyline... I have a soft spot for kidnapping story lines... but the writing, while beautiful was some some of the wordiest and most tedious I have ever read.... and I've read and love Dickens. I just feel like the story that Cooper was telling could have been told with less of those tedious sentences and still would have been an amazing story. Beautiful prose, I love, tedious, please no.
Overall I liked it but it definitely could have been a smaller book. Hopefully I'l be watching the movie soon so I can see how it translates to screen.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...