Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2018 New Year's Tag

I've never done this tag before but I remember I planned to do it a couple years ago and I'm not sure why I didn't. Anyways this year it's happening! I found this tag at Classics and Craziness but I'm not sure where it originated from.

What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?

Gave birth!

Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make one this year?

I didn't really make any resolutions last year. I wanted to finish up my Classics Club challenge but that didn't happen so now I plan or this year.

Did anyone close to you give birth?

Well I did.... But besides that my sister-in-law did too and several friends.

Did anyone close to you die?

My great-uncle passed away.

What countries/states did you visit?

We went to Minnesota in May so that took us through Missouri and Iowa as well. We also had a family reunion in North Carolina which took us through Missouri (again), Illinois (for like five minutes) Kentucky and Tennessee.

What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?

More patience!

What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory?

Our little Hobbit's birthdate as well as the couple days leading up to it for sure.

Did you move anywhere?

Nope.

What was the best month?

Wow! Hmmm. I feel it's wrong to not say April... the month our little Hobbit was born but on the other hand that was a really hard month. I don't know if I could say that was my best. I love the whole Christmas season so I guess December.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Giving birth! For those of you who have multiple children I have an enormous amount of respect for you ladies! My experience did not turn me off from having more kids but it was definitely an endeavor. 

What was your biggest failure?

There's so many ways in which I feel like I've failed as a mother but I know so much of that is in my head and are silly expectations I have put on myself.

Did you suffer illness or injury?

At the very beginning of the year I got the flu and actually had to stay in the hospital overnight for it since I was pregnant and they wanted to keep me and the baby closely monitored.

What was the best thing you bought?

ALL THE BOOKS!!!

Whose behavior merited celebration?

Brian's! Honestly his behavior merits a best husband of the year award. I never could have made it through this journey of motherhood without him. He has all the patience I lack and is so sweet and caring.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My own. All the hormones after giving birth are not cool!

Where did most of your money go?

Baby stuff for sure! Thankfully so much of what we needed were gifts but still a lot of money went to stuff for our little Hobbit. Not that I regret any of it!

What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Our little Hobbit! She's such a blessing and I still get really, really, really exited about her! Besides her, though, Brian and I went to a Lindsay Sterling concert this past fall that was AMAZING!!!

What was the best concert you’ve been to this year?

I only went to the aforementioned Lindsay Sterling concert but that doesn't make any less the BEST!

What song/album will always remind you of 2018?

The soundtrack to Mama Mia! I love that soundtrack so much and love dancing around the house to it as I clean or bake. I'd never watched Mama Mia! before this year and I only watched it because I like the sound of the music from the trailer for Mama Mia Here we go Again. So I watched Mama Mia! meaning to watch the second when it came out but I never got around to it. The first is only meh anyways. I think whenever I hear that soundtrack in the future though it will make me back to 2018, babies, nursing and cookies.

Compared to this time last year, are you:

1. Happier or sadder? In so many ways happier but I still have my sad days. Definitely less rested.
2. Thinner or fatter? Thinner... though to be completely fair this time last year I was very pregnant.
3. Richer or poorer? Well my husband keeps track of our finances more than I do but probably poorer since I only work part time anymore.

What do you wish you’d done more of?

Relaxing. Reading

What do you wish you’d done less of?

Stressing out. Worrying.

What was your greatest musical discovery?

The aforementioned Mama Mia!!!!

How did you spend Christmas?

With family. Just how I like it. I had to work Christmas Eve but I was so thankful to have Christmas Day and surrounding days to spend with my wonderful family.

How are you spending New Year’s?

With my family as well.

Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?

Probably my cousin Anna. As kids we would talk on the phone for hours and we still do. Living several states away makes it a necessity.

What was the best book you read?

I'd Rather be Reading by Anne Bogel and The Gospel Comes with a Housekey by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield. 

What was the best movie you watched?

I'm having a hard time remembering what I've watched this year! Maybe Infinity War?

Did you fall in love in 2018?

Well besides Brian, who I fall more and more in love with every day....
Our little Hobbit of course! From that first moment I held her in my arms I was in love! She's a mischievous little child but I love her to bits!

What was your favorite TV show?

Oh that's hard! I have been watching a LOT of TV Shows while I nurse and for the most part have enjoyed them all. We are almost done with Frasier but it's got to be one of my favorite shows of the year for sure. I also watched Agents of Shield this year and LOVED it.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

No.

What did you want and get?

A healthy baby!

What did you want and not get?

In my head I had a perfect plan for how breastfeeding would go and how it would be so easy and effortless but that wasn't at all how it was. It was a huge struggle and tear inducer at the beginning and it still occasionally has it's struggles now. I craved that perfect nursing relationship so badly and this year I've had to learn to let go of that ideal.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?

Comfortable! And no dresses cause breastfeeding.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 24 this past year and I spent it in the hospital for the aforementioned flu. Not really the birthday I had planned. Oh well. My family had a nice celebration for me the next week when I was feeling much better.

What kept you sane?

Brian and many wonderful friends.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not having all of those struggles with breastfeeding at the beginning.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Hmmm. I'm sure there was somebody but I don't remember.

What political issue stirred you the most?

Abortion. Which is more of a moral than political issue. I've always been against abortion but actually being pregnant and giving birth has given me a whole new perspective on the issue and it is something that saddens me so much.

Who did you miss?

I always miss my family that lives far away like my cousin Anna and her family.

Who was the best new person you met?

I can't think of any best "new" person I met this year. My friend Anne, who I'd met a couple years ago, I developed a deeper friendship with that's been so uplifting.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.

To not stress out over everything... okay I haven't learned it yet... but I'm working on it!

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I can't think of anything!

Five things I want to do in 2019:


  1. Finish my Classics Club challenge
  2. Get into a better routine with cleaning the house
  3. Become a better meal planner
  4. Clean out my house (I have a more specific list as regards this written down)
  5. Read! No specific number.... just read and enjoy it. 
I hope this gives you a little snapshot into my year. 2018 was not easy but I have grown so much in it and I know that God was working in me through it all. 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...