Saturday, June 4, 2016

Classics Club Spin- June 2016

It's time for another Classics Club spin!
Here's the rules. :)
  • Go to your blog.
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
  • Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
  • The challenge is to read that book by August 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
It's always fun to participate in the Classic Club's spins. Sometimes it gets me to read one of the books I was putting off. 

Can't Wait to Read! 
1) The 39 Steps by John Buchan
2) Waverley by Sir Walter Scott
3) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
4) The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
5) The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Dreading Reading
6) East of Eden by John Steinbeck 
7) The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James 
8) Moby Dick by Herman Melville 
9) The Divine Comedy by Dante 
10) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand 

Feeling Neutral About
11) Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand 
12) Kim by Rudyard Kipling
13) Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson 
14) Dracula by Bram Stoker
15) Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes 

Shakespeare 
16) The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare 
17) Measure for Measure by William Shakespeare 
18) The Tempest by William Shakespeare 
19) Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare 
20) Richard III by William Shakespeare 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. East of Eden is my favourite Steinbeck (to date), so hopefully once you read it you won't feel dread any longer. But from everything I've ever heard, you have every right to dread Moby Dick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. East of Eden is my favourite Steinbeck (to date), so hopefully once you read it you won't feel dread any longer. But from everything I've ever heard, you have every right to dread Moby Dick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Don Quixote. I feel guilty for not reading that (can I really call myself well-acquainted with the world of chivalry and knighthood without doing so?) but I think I'm in need for some lighter reading after the somewhat-challenging books I've been reading of late. Good luck to you with Don Quixote though; let me know how you like it and/or if you recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dracula is one of my favorite novels. I hope you find it good.

    I'm into the first part of the Purgatorio of The Divine Comedy. Slow reading but not unhelpful necessarily. The trick is to find a good translation and good annotations. I've heard the translation by Anthony Esolen is very good but I've never been able to lay hold of a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you get one of your 'can't wait' reads. The 39 steps is good, and although it's ages and ages since I read The Once and Future King (when I was a teenager) I loved it. I still have a teddy bear called after one of the characters in it... ;)

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...