I rarely start books that I don't mean to finish. In fact, I don't think I ever have. Before reading a book I normally know enough about it to know if I'll like it and if for someone reason I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would then I finished it anyways because I don't like leaving things uncompleted. So there are several books that I wanted to put down but didn't because of that. Some of these are books that I read when I was younger back when my Dad made me reading lists. I am so thankful he made me those lists because I read a lot of books I might never have picked up if he hadn't assigned them to me. Most all of those I enjoyed but some of them not so much as is evidence on this list. So here goes!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- It's a great book but I just don't like it. I don't like books were, in my opinion, there isn't a single good character. This is one that my Dad had me read. It is a classic and I'm glad I read it just to say I read it but I did not enjoy it.
- The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne- It was just confusing. Probably I read it too fast too but I remember wanting to just get done with it because I didn't like it.
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne- Another book were I just don't like a single character. Both of these Hawthorne books I made the choice to read so I guess I got what I deserved.
- Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott- It's long and not like the movie. I hate it when I watch the movie before the book because I never enjoy the book as much. That's rarely happened but this was one of those cases. I mean to re-read it this year and I'll see if I can handle it better then.
- Lorna Doone by by R.D. Blackmoore- Another of the few that I read after watching the movie. It's really long and pretty detailed and honestly I just wanted to get through it as quickly as possible... which was hard to do due to above description.
- The Odyssey by Homer- It is LONG! And hard to read in the format it is written. I read this one for school and oh my if it hadn't been for school I probably never would have finished it.
- The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux- I did want to read it just to see how it compared to the movie but it wasn't fun to read. The story does not appeal to me.
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens- While I do enjoy Dickens' books, this one was spoiled for me by the fact that while I was reading it my family was watching a film version of it and Miss Havisham just CREEPED ME OUT in the movie so I had a hard time enjoying the book. I was younger when this happened by the way! I'm sure if I watched the movie now it wouldn't bother me. So anyways, I remember dragging through this book and not really wanting to read it. Someday maybe I'll reread it to see if I could enjoy it more because that is the only Dickens so far that I haven't liked so I'm sure it was just that movie.
I know I ended up with eight but that's all I can think of right now and in just a few hours I'll be taking my nursing final so...
Follow my blog with Bloglovin