Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book Review- Hard Times

I really like this synopsis of Dickens' novel Hard Times from Wikipeida: The novel follows a classical tripartite structure, and the titles of each book are related to Galatians 6:7, "For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Book I is entitled "Sowing", Book II is entitled "Reaping", and the third is "Garnering."It doesn't exactly explain what happens in the book but it explains the message of the book. 
I really enjoyed reading Hard Times and it is now one of my favorite of Dickens books. I'm thinking though that it might just have hit me at the right time and perhaps if I reread it later in life I won't like it as much but at this moment I really enjoyed it. 
It tells the story of a father who raises his two children to live a life dominated by facts and not fancy. No imagination allowed.  The characters in this book were interesting and to be reflected on as is often in Dickens' novels. The plot was insightful and thought provoking and, to me, a book that to continued surprise me as it went on. It was often sad and while the ending was happy it was rather bittersweet. 
I would recommend this book to all fans of the Classics as one of his shorter but not less deeper works. Enjoy. :)

Follow my blog with

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...