Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Book Review- The Wind in the Willows

For my re-reading challenge I completed Kenneth Graham's The Wind in the Willows. I don't remember anything about reading it when I was younger, I just know that I did. Growing up I watched a film version of it that my grandparents had a lot, and now that I've re-read the book I'd like to watch it again. As far as I recall, it followed along with the book really quite well.
Re-reading through it though, I was captivated by how well written it was, drawing you into the world of these fantastical woodland creatures and their lives. It strongly reminded me of Thornton Burgess's books that I read a lot growing up.
The Wind in the Willows follows the story of Mole, a simple hole dweller who one day gets fed up with his spring cleaning and takes off through the woods to look for something different. He then means Ratty, a water rat, who shows him the joys of the river. They have many adventures together, including several run ins with Toad, a egotistical, petulant and wealthy woodland creature. This story tells a lot about friendship, selfishness and money.
Even though this time I was reading it later in life at an age that the book was not geared toward, I still found it fun and quite insightful. I would recommend it to all ages as a refreshing and relaxing read. :)
P.S. There are a lot of film versions of The Wind in the Willows. The one I watched growing up was the 1995 version.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. This is on my Classics Club list and I'm really looking forward to reading it! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'll have to look for the movie you mentioned as well.

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...