Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book (Play) Review- As You Like It

This was one of the hardest Shakespeares I've listened to to follow along to as I wasn't as familiar with the story line. However I enjoyed it and I'm hoping to watch a film version soon to fill in all of my holes. :)
Here's the synopsis from Goodreads: As You Like It is a pastoral comedy by William Shakespeare believed to have been written in 1599 or early 1600 and first published in the First Folio, 1623. The play's first performance is uncertain, though a performance at Wilton House in 1603 has been suggested as a possibility. As You Like It follows its heroine Rosalind as she flees persecution in her uncle's court, accompanied by her cousin Celia and Touchstone the court jester, to find safety and, eventually, love, in the Forest of Arden. Historically, critical response has varied, with some critics finding the work of lesser quality than other Shakespearean works and some finding the play a work of great merit.
The play features one of Shakespeare's most famous and oft-quoted speeches, "All the world's a stage", and is the origin of the phrase "too much of a good thing". The play remains a favourite among audiences and has been adapted for radio, film, and musical theatre.
As You Like It is a fun romantic comedy with not lots of depth but plenty of laughs. Mistaken identities and love sick hearts are the theme in this play with a touch of power struggle to round it out. There's really not much more to it. I'd recommend read or listen to it and hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...